Wednesday, June 26, 2019

All the Feels

There is a writer that I follow on Facebook and his posts have the power to evoke intense emotion! I have been inspired by his writing many times, and I hope someday to have honed my skill enough to tread very lightly in such footsteps.

One of his posts recently was a heartwarming piece basically listing off things that he found inspirational or encouraging. So I thought I would start making my own list of things that give me the feels to help uplift my spirits! Maybe you will enjoy it too, or maybe you can be inspired to go out and create your own list. This is a big beautiful world and sometimes its easy to not see the shimmers of inspiration through the scars of tragedy or doldrums of the mundane.


* The waft of summer breezes through an open window, preferably with the faint smell of freshly mowed grass.
*The color green. Pretty much anywhere. It feels like the color of life. 
*Ice cold lemonade served in a glass glass with ice cubes and a sprig of mint or strong hot nutty coffee served black in a thick ceramic mug, depending on the season.
*The smell of my Grandpa's barn. I still catch a whiff sometimes when I climb into my Grandpa's old farm truck that my brother drives now. It smells like alfalfa hay, sawdust, axle grease, and good ol' sweat. 
*Morning sunlight through wispy curtains. 
*Kitenge fabric. Every time I see it some place unexpected or used in a new and unique way it just makes me smile. I love the kitenge throw pillows on my couch, the kitenge I used to wrap my sweet little Afro-child in, feeling the stiff fabric slide over my skin as I pull on a kitenge dress, or recognizing a fellow sojourner from the motherland by the bright colors they are clad in. 
*Fresh sheets.
*Tomatoes, green pepper, red onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, black pepper.
*Tomatoes in general. Mostly grape, cherry, or roma but I'll settle for most any of them.
*Good Mexican food. My mom has the most amazing chicken enchilada recipe that probably has WAY more calories than I should eat in it, but every year for my birthday I try to work out a way to have it because its my absolute favorite. Best beans are from CocoBolos in Manhattan, Ks. (also try their Tijuana Train Wreck, mmmm) Best salsa is the fresh batch I can whip up in one of those enormous metal mixing bowls after lots of slicing and dicing. Best burrito is Chipotle. I used to eat it as my last meal before leaving the US and my first meal coming back. 
*Afrojazz.
*Good music in general. You know that kind of music that you can tell the musicians had their eyes closed when they were playing it because it just sounded so sweet. Yeah, that kind. I may be crazy, but I feel like I can audibly hear the passion leaking through.
*Well written poetry that makes you think and feel at the same time. 
*Roadside food. I know you are likely to get typhoid... but everyone needs a good colon cleanse every once in a while right? No, but for real. I have met some pretty amazing roadside food vendors that are magicians at their craft. Shout out to my guy in Wandegeya that still makes the best rolex. And the little old lady in Kawempe-Mbogo that insisted that I just call her Mum when I asked her name. She fed me many a supper after a long 12 hour day at the hospital. And not forgetting my original chapatti guy in Kitintale who makes the most airy chapatti ever and kept me supplied with my daily staple when I couldn't afford much more. From samousas, popcorn, and banana pancakes to roast chicken, kikomando, and chips and eggs I've eaten it all and its amazing!
*Brightly colored flowers. Especially in unexpected places. 
*Throw pillows. Don't ask me to explain, cause I can't. But I want them all. 
*Seeing my husband wolf down the plate I just handed him. There is something super satisfying about seeing your hard work get demolished in such an unceremonious fashion but with such absolute pleasure that you forget that you spent 2 hours on what is being torn apart in 2 minutes. Its a good feeling to be appreciated like that. 
*And while we are on the topic of husbands... watching my husband and son from a distance holding hands and trotting off somewhere, talking and laughing to each other. Just about the fullest heart feeling that I ever did feel. 
*When a little kid falls asleep on your shoulder. Especially if its your own little kid, but nephews and nieces are pretty close seconds in my book!
*Cheekiness. (a little bit of humor mixed with a little bit of sarcasm)
*and many, many more...


So now its your turn... What makes your heart full? What inspires you? What uplifts your spirit? What feels like your "happy place"? Try making a list and look back at it every time you are starting to feel like life is dragging you down. You'd be surprised how it may help you refocus and remember that life is still beautiful in so many little moments!

No comments: